There are two kinds of people in the world- those who can make a capsule wardrobe work, and those who can’t. If you’re anything like me, those wardrobes aren’t for you because things start to get boring too soon. This isn’t just about capsule wardrobes, but everything that you’ve used for a few months loses it’s charm. The problem however, is that you can’t trash things every time they stop exciting you, well, at least not on a college’s ramen noodle budget. But with a little brainstorming, even the most unexciting things can be revamped into statement pieces that you’d adore.
So grab some gold leaf and reinvent a boring pair of heels with this simple DIY gilding.
- Gold leaf
- Mod Podge
- Gold and black marker
- Clean the surface with a damp cloth and let it dry. Make sure it’s nice and smooth.
- Apply mod podge liberally all over the heel.
- Place a leaf on the glued surface and press lightly. Handle the leaves very gently because they are quite brittle.
- Press the leaf all around and let it set.
- Once the glue has dried, apply another coat, this time over the gold leaf so that it is properly set.
- Brush off excess leaf.
- If you feel the edges aren’t crisp enough, define them using a black marker (because the shoes are black).
- If the leaf fell off at a few points, glue that area and add more of it.
And with that you have a sparkling, new pair of heels waiting for you!
Adding gold leaf to the front or the straps can be a fun upgrade too. Do try it before throwing out your next pair of shoes!
Till next time!